Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tagalog lesson

I TOTALLY SPACED! I don't know how often I've used the word "Ate' " in my blog posts.. but I've neglected to say what it means. I'm sorry!! I just realized this looking at the pictures on the side of my blog there's one with me and Jess and the caption or whatever says "She loves her Ate' ".

Ate is the Tagalog word for "Older sister" or "Big Sister", if you will. My Dad is half Filipino. (um..if I'm being repetious...I'm sorry. I don't mean to be.) and so that makes us a quarter. It's a sign of respect when the younger siblings call the older (it's usually to the eldest sister/brother) siblings by their "rank" I guess you can put it that way. But..that sounds weird. Anyways, Ate is the word for older sister and Kuya is used for the older brother.

Now whenever you see me mention "Ate" you know what it means!! (Or Kuya for that matter..)

Kuya: pronounced KOO-YAW

Ate: pronounced OUGHT-TAY*

(like "you know you ought not to do that")

Cheers!,

~Lissie Darcy

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lissie!

    Hopefully this is the right blog to comment on... :)

    I'd love to see you do a 'post-a-day' series! :D Go right ahead! :)

    Thanks for commenting on my blog - I enjoyed reading your comments!

    Also I'm thrilled that you were inspired by me to learn how to crochet - that's wonderful!

    Blessings,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete