Saturday, August 14, 2010

Building Up Our Wind

I try to keep up with the 30 day shred workout video with Jillian Michaels, Mon-Fri. (Emphasis on "try") Saturdays and Sundays are my chillaxing days. Which means NO workout. I've always liked going on walks, and I've noticed it feels good on my knees to walk. When they're really achy and standing up and stretching them isn't helping enough (this is while waiting for the Ibuprofen to kick in..which it doesn't really help..especially on REALLY bad days) going on a walk does. Besides I really enjoy looking at God's beautiful creation and being quite and thinking.

Evy has been running. She's built herself up to the point where she's able to run a mile without stopping. She just accomplished a HUGE goal four miles! Yes, I know. DANG is very much appropriate at this particular moment. DANG. Anyhow, I've always enjoyed running. But, I never thought about doing it for a workout. She suggested we run together if I wanted to. The thing is, Evy can ask me to do anything and I'll do it. If she wants me to come over to help her make dinner, I will. (If it's ok with my Mom. Which it usually is! Unless my Mom needs my help here.) I love Evy and it doesn't matter what we do together just as along as we're hanging out together. You know when that is the case you really are friends!

After my doctors appointment, and hearing about how physical therapy might be good for me, I got to thinking. I don't WANT to do physical therapy. I mean if it's about stretches and workouts to build up my knee muscles then-tell me what I can do. I didn't have a stroke, I wasn't in a car accident, I didn't break my legs, or knees..so why dramatize the situation more? I don't know. I think it's more like pride that's getting to me. I'd rather just have them tell me what I can do and let me do it for myself.. But I haven't even gotten the blood test results back, NOR have I seen an orthopedic yet. SO. I'm just going to wait BEFORE I come to any conclusions about anything. I'll wait and see what happens about all this.

IN the meantime. Jake and I have now made Saturday mornings our running days. I calculated (using a pedometer) that twice around the outskirts of our subdivision is a mile. We can't run a mile non-stop just running. (Oh and running-more like jogging..what am I saying?) So we alternate between jogging and fast power walking. The jogging time is longer then the walking time. And we only go in so fast as is within our limits. If we keep this up, we'll slowly take out some of our walking time. We'll do this until we get to the point where we're just jogging non-stop (no walking) a mile. Once we've accomplished that we'll have to party for one thing. Actually I want to get to the point where it's a mile, a mile and a half, two miles..(etc.)

For now, we're building up our wind! Jake's a good running partner. Today was our first day. We went around 12 in the afternoon. Just before it gets REALLY hot. Next Saturday we want to go around 6 before anyone's up and while it's still cool out. (I HATE running in our subdivision when people are out and they stare like: Go jabba the hut. Hahah. Actually it's more like: Dang. I need to start running too. That's more like it. Haha. Jake and I are born athletes! If it was up to us we'd be doing everything from rock climbing-tennis-fencing-swimming..YEAH you get the point. It's just a matter of money. WHICH. Sucks.)

Cheer us on!!

Your blogging soon to be mile runner athlete,

Lissie

Ps. Oh and I know once a week for running isn't much. But we'll get to the point where it's more often. :) We're just starting!

No comments:

Post a Comment