Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Ice Is Getting Thinner

Death Cab For Cutie is my new favorite band. I go through phases of listening to specific people a lot. Currently its the Black Keys and Death Cab For Cutie. Go check out the song "The Ice is Getting Thinner" Google the lyrics..or here I'll do it for you, Click HERE

That song pretty much describes my life right now. It's scary. I heard that song today and just got the chills. We need prayer. Lots of it. Pray for my parents, pray for our family. Pray that we would all LOOK TO CHRIST.

The song that SHOULD describe our lives, is the hymn in Christ alone. (SEE HERE) It's like the Lewis quote--in order for that song to be your life's song then, "Relying on Christ must begin all over again, everyday as if nothing had yet been done.." (What? It's my FAVORITE Lewis quote. Well one of my favorites.)

I really do not like that Death Cab song particularly because it describes life right now. I want our life to be described as courageous Christians always and only ever seeking Christ. I want our hope to be found in Christ--ALONE--. I want us to daily rely on God. I want us to be strong in the Lord, and courageous.

Chesterton's quote on courage is amazing. (The only thing I've ever read of Chesterton's is, "The Man who was Thursday". I really REALLY want to read, "The Everlasting Man," and "Orthodoxy". They are on the top of my booklist right now. (Yes because I need more books to read along with the 50 others on my shelf...))

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of a readiness to die. “He that will lose his life, the same shall save it,” is not a piece of mysticism for saints and heroes. It is a piece of everyday advice for sailors or mountaineers. It might be printed in an Alpine guide or a drill book. This paradox is the whole principle of courage; even of quite earthly or quite brutal courage. A man cut off by the sea may save his life if he will risk it on the precipice.

He can only get away from death by continually stepping within an inch of it. A soldier surrounded by enemies, if he is to cut his way out, needs to combine a strong desire for living with a strange carelessness about dying. He must not merely cling to life, for then he will be a coward, and will not escape. He must not merely wait for death, for then he will be a suicide, and will not escape. He must seek his life in a spirit of furious indifference to it; he must desire life like water and yet drink death like wine."~G. K. Chesterton's "Orthodoxy"


Life's definitely not fully described by that right now. It's more like "the ice is getting thinner under me, under you," We bury our love.."


Brothers and Sisters in Christ-keep us in your prayers!


~Elisabeth Darcy


Ps. Chesterton's quote is definitely worth common placing, if you keep a common place book.




No comments:

Post a Comment