Thursday, August 12, 2010

Blood work and X Rays

Today I had a doctors appointment. I got 6 x-ray pictures taken of my knees, and a blood test. (Fun way to start your day!) We have a family history of arthritis (on both sides of the family) and my knees, ever since I can remember, have always bothered me. They ache. This last year and particularly this year (and this past month or so) my knees REALLY ache.

They don't really respond to Ibuprofen very well, I've been taken 600mgs and it's been taking a LONG time for it to kick in. Two-two and half hours or so. And then it doesn't give me much relief when it does kick in. So that's why I went to the doctors.

The doctor said that she doesn't think it is arthritis. She says my knee caps move more freely then most. They have more mobility. It's like they're more flexible then the average *normal* person's. (I could've told her that.. But I didn't realize that it was *abnormal* for them to move around as much as they do..) She thinks it's the mobility that is causing my knees pain. She says if that's the case physical therapy would be good for me to get some knee exercises that builds up my knee muscles. Which I wasn't too happy about. Why can't they just give me some stretches or something? I mean why do I have to GO to physical therapy..? I dunno. I won't think too much on it anyways since we haven't gotten the blood test back yet.

The nurse is making an appointment with (I forgot what he specializes in..specifically) a guy who apparently deals with a lot of knee issues and athletes stuff like that. Whatever. The like. That's why the doctor had me get some x-rays done of my knees so he can have them, and have looked at them by the time we meet at the appointment with him. So, cool. It's all organized and stuff. That is ONE thing I like about the doctor's, they're so organized. And you know me, that's up my alley. But, she had me take a blood test anyways since there IS a family history of arthritis. Annnnddd since I've noticed aches and stuff in my elbows and shooting down my arm and into my hands too.

I don't know when my next appointment is. So we'll see what ends up happening. Also, I'll be posting about the blood test results. I also hope the pain in my elbows and hands can be explained... Blerg. Whatev. What a fun day! (no..not really..)

I'm a germ freak too! I hate sitting in the waiting room chairs or any chairs at the doctors-period! They're so yucky to think about all the sick people before you that have sat there. People that were diagnosed with life threatening diseases that have sat in that chair before you, and perhaps died since then..

I wouldn't let Josiah touch the arm rest on the chairs because, "of germs, Siah". I can't help it. It grosses me out. When I came home I RAN inside being careful not to *touch* anything because of "being at the doctors..EW."

When I was waiting to get my x-rays taken, there was a bunch of old ladies waiting in the waiting room too. I watched them for a while. (I'm a people person what can I say? I LOVE to people watch..) Then I turned around and I told my Mom that I really like old people. She's like you do? And I was like yeah. They're so sweet. And even when they aren't you gotta realize they have lived life, and experienced much more than you have.. I don't know. There's something beautiful about them. Oh and those old ladies were so funny and cute and sweet.

Just for the record before I end this, it was my first time getting a blood test. I actually don't mind it!! I think getting your blood pressure taken is WORSE. I HATE the squeezy thing! I have to purposefully think about something else, look at something else (if possible), and slow my breathing. Otherwise I start to laugh uneasily just out of pure nervousness. I'm claustrophobic and all I can think about is, "I wanna get my arm outta this, I wanna get my arm outta this...hurry up..tick tock..any day now..plleeeease I just want to get my arm out of this.." It's really pathetic. I also HATE the way it squeezes me, it hurts, it's not comfy..it grosses me out. The reason why it grosses me out is, it makes me think of if you squeeze your wrist really tight and start wiggling your fingers: It makes your veins pop out. That's what I think about when they take my blood pressure. I hate it. It's nasty. To me the blood test was easy, like getting a shot. Oh and it's funny because the lady was looking at which arm's veins were more easy to get to-if I'd've known what she was doing I would've been able to tell her to do it in my right arm from the start. (Yup, I know my arms THAT WELL. Be jealous!!) But, it took me a few seconds to figure out what the heck she was doing (first time). I was really relaxed too. I just looked away. Not because I can't handle seeing the blood fill up. I just looked away because if I see the needle coming-my skin is going to expect it and perhaps try to avoid it. Like in cartoons if they put a knife to your belly-they suck it in. Hahaha. But I got to see my blood vile afterwords. It was pretty nifty! (I did just say that so there :P) To me that would be AWESOME too look at under a microscope as opposed to preserved lab slides in anatomy class. No no, that's REAL lab work right there. Pretty sweet! Excccccccccceeept! I don't mind blood, but URINE. EW. Who wants to look at someone's URINE..? That's just NASTY. I'm glad there are people who are willing to do that--but not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment