Thursday, July 1, 2010

AGAINST TWILLIGHT FTW

http://www.truewoman.com/?id=1176


READ. THIS. ARTICLE. This lady totally stripped Twilight and left all the teenagers and even adults biting the dust from this lady's feet. Because she totally proved that there's nothing (besides the fact that Stephanie Meyer *so I've heard* is a really good writer) edifying, or "*GREAT*" about Twilight.

I'd really like to hear a teenager's or even adult's defense in response to what the lady wrote about Twilight. I was amazed at some of the stuff I've read about Twilight. And how obsessed people are with it. Even grown ups!

I read a review about (obviously a twilight hater) one of the Twilight books (can't remember what site I read it on..) someone who thought twilight wasn't that great. And that they were sickened at how people are responding to the books. One woman was in counseling because she was SO into Edward that she didn't care for or about her husband anymore.

THAT is ridiculous. TALK about idolatry! If something (be it a book, a movie, music, a song, a toy, clothes, etc.) is causing you to sin and to be idolatrice; if something is causing you to be SO obsessed with it then you need to check yourself and ask why?

  1. Is it becoming the most important thing in my life?
  2. Is it causing strife and the destruction of my relationships in my life?
  3. Is it or Has it replaced God in my life..?
  4. Is it causing me to sin overall? *or in general if you will*

If the answer is yes to just even ONE of these questions you need to rethink about if it is worth having in your life etc.

~Lissie

Ps. FYI- The phrase "FTW" means F-OR T-HE W-IN. Nothing bad. Just..so you know :)

1 comment:

  1. My understand of the post on TrueWoman, was that she ONLY watched the movies and that she is suggesting you neither read or watch the films. With that being the case, I think she should have read the books and I disagree with the idea of NOT reading/watching. A lot of what she said besides makes sense and I can agree with it.

    Firstly, I believe that she should have read the books. They came first. A movie will never follow a book closely enough to form an opinion on the book. (My opinion, obviously.)

    Secondly, I think that reading the books and watching the movie could be a very good thing for young women. Do it with your mom. Talk about the parts that are bad. Help her to exercise discernment of her own! She will have to do so eventually.

    Having said that, I've read the books. I thought they were poorly written, funny, full of simple characters, lame themes, no originality. I enjoyed certain characters and the portrayals of some of the relationships--there was something real to it. The films are simply heinous. I'm hoping to go to a theater to see Eclipse with my sister so we can observe the crazy people there & laugh loudly.

    ReplyDelete